From the kitchen to your skin care routine, there are thousands of uses for coconut oil. It hydrates and moisturizes hair, skin and lips. Coconut oil is a fantastic natural all-over moisturizer (use it like lotion after bathing), and when combined with other ingredients, makes a great base for hair masks and lips scrubs. Here are two recipes to try.
Coconut Oil Hair Mask
- 2 tablespoons Vitacost extra virgin organic coconut oil, then add one or more of the following essential oils depending on your needs:
- 10-20 drops Plant Therapy rosemary essential oil (to stimulate hair growth)
- 3-5 drops Radiance tea tree oil (for dandruff)
- 6-10 drops Aromappeal lavender oil (because it smells fabulous)
- Slather into hair. Make sure to massage your scalp and focus on your roots.
- Leave the mask in your hair for a minimum of 30 minutes. Wear overnight if possible.
- Wash with a mild shampoo and style as usual. This leaves your hair soft, shiny and smooth!
The lip scrub recipe is courtesy of Brandie Gilliam, Founder and Editor-In-Chief of Organic Beauty Talk.
Brandie Gilliams’ DIY Lip Scrub Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Nutiva organic coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon all natural raw or organic honey
- 2 teaspoons organic brown sugar (or organic white sugar or coconut flakes)
Mix ingredients. Use a toothbrush or your finger to gently apply to your lips with a back and forth motion. Rinse, pat dry and then condition with a bit of coconut oil for soft smooth lips!
I also use coconut oil on my infant to treat and prevent diaper rash and in a homemade teething oil.
Coconut oil is an easy, affordable and fun way to moisturize your skin, hair and lips. Do you have any coconut oil tips to share?
Image courtesy of Keerati/FreeDigitalPhotos.net